Event Time and Date
78 Days until this Event
The Mid-States Region of the Astronomical League (MSRAL) convention will be held at Missouri State University in Springfield, Missouri on Friday June 9 through Sunday June 11. This special event is open to everyone interested in astronomy.
The Astronomical League is the national organization for over 240 amateur astronomy clubs in the United States. The 2017 MSRAL convention is co-hosted by two local member clubs, the Ozarks Amateur Astronomers Club (located at Missouri State University) and the Springfield Astronomical Society (http://www.springfieldastronomy.org), as well as the Department of Physics, Astronomy, and Materials Science and the College of Natural and Applied Sciences at Missouri State University.
The 2017 MSRAL convention will be held in the Plaster Student Union at Missouri State University and involve a variety of astronomy-related activities. Its program will include:
* Registration and Check-in Friday Afternoon June 9
* A Barbecue Banquet Friday Evening June 9 (optional--registration required)
* A Tour of Missouri State University's Baker Observatory (https://physics.missouristate.edu/BakerObservatory.htm) near Marshfield, Missouri (birthplace of Edwin Hubble) on June 9 after the Barbecue Banquet. The observatory is located about 25 miles from the Missouri State University campus. Attendees can provide their own transportation to the observatory or optionally register to take a shuttle bus from the campus.
* Convention Speakers Saturday Morning June 10
* Lunch at Noon Saturday June 10. Attendees can optionally order box lunches.
* Convention Speakers Saturday Afternoon June 10
* Main Banquet and Keynote Speech Saturday Evening June 10. The keynote speaker will be Dr. Peter Plavchan, Assistant Professor in the Department of Physics, Astronomy, and Material Science at Missouri State University. Attendees can optionally register to eat at the banquet, but they may attend the keynote speech after the banquet itself for no extra charge.
* Conference Speakers Sunday Morning June 11. The convention ends at noon on Sunday June 11.
The list of guest speakers is still being created. They will include faculty from Missouri State University and the University of Missouri at Columbia along with highly experienced, knowledgable amateur astronomers. A complete program including speakers and topics will be available soon.
The registration fee to attend the convention is $40.00. This includes the tour of the Baker Observatory and all talks. Refreshments will be provided at no extra charge at the time of convention presentations. Optional costs are:
* Barbecue Banquet Friday Evening June 9: $25.00
* Shuttle Bus to the Baker Observatory Friday Evening June 9 (following the banquet): $10.00
* Box Lunches at Noon on Saturday June 10: $11.00
* Banquet Saturday Evening June 10: $40.00
A link to register for the convention and select any of the above options, as well as more information about the menus for the banquets and box lunches, is coming soon. Please check this site again later.
Information regarding local hotels near the MSU campus is found at https://www.missouristate.edu/bearsfamilies/hotels.htm. Please remember to ask for the Missouri State University discount.
A block of rooms on-campus at the Blair-Shannon house has also been reserved. More information about the suites is available at https://reslife.missouristate.edu/BlairShannon/Layouts.htm. These are six-person suites, with up to two people in each of three bedrooms. Expected cost per adult/per night for a double room (with linen) is $30. The rate for children between ages 3 to 12 accompanying a parent is $5.00 per child.
The dining hall at the Blair-Shannon house can also used for meals. A link to register for on-campus rooms and meals will also be available soon.
For questions or further information concerning the 2017 MSRAL convention, please contact Dr. Henry G. Stratmann at HGStratmann@MissouriState.edu. Current Missouri State University students can register for the convention at no cost. MSU students should contact Dr. Stratmann directly to register.
Plaster Student Union